Let’s face it; waiting for the world to change is making us sick. Lets get married!
Yes, we could pop pills more often—or we could move to one of six states that support full marriage equality rights, according to a new study published in The American Journal of Public Health.
Researchers from Columbia University surveyed more than 1,200 patients (all of them gay men) and their billing statements at a large Massachusetts health clinic 12 months before and after the state legalized same-sex marriage in 2004
As it turns out, man-on-man matrimony makes us healthier: After same-sex marriage equality passed, researchers saw a 13 percent decrease in doctor visits and a 14 percent decrease in health care costs among gay and bisexual men, particularly for those who reported high blood pressure, depression, anxiety and sexually transmitted diseases.
“What we are saying is that when you legalize same-sex marriage it kind of changes the social environment around gays and lesbians,” lead author Mark Hatzenbuehler said in a news release, as reported by MSNBC. “And that reduces social stigma and stress that has downstream health consequences.”
More and more, America is finding homophobia difficult to explain. Thanks a lot, science!
This is something that hetero society has long claimed. Close physical relationships are good for you - whether straight or gay.
- Same-Sex Marriage Laws Reduce Doctor Visits And Health Care Costs For Gay Men (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Call for patience in same sex marriage push (smh.com.au)
- Same-sex marriage boosts gay men's health, study suggests (cbsnews.com)
- Marriage Equality Equals Healther Society (lezgetreal.com)
- Same-sex marriage make healthier, a new study finds. (jontambek.wordpress.com)
- Gay Married Men Enjoy Better Health Than Single Gay Men (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Same-sex marriage laws reduce doctor visits and health care costs for gay men (scienceblog.com)
- Same-sex marriage laws reduce doctor visits and health care costs for gay men (eurekalert.org)
- Marriage Equality Equals Healther Society (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Ricky Martin To Wed In New York (lezgetreal.com)