|English: JW Black Label (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Whisky used to save blind blind drunk man's sight...
For Denis Duthie a bottle of whisky was exactly what the doctors ordered.
And one even rushed off to the bottle store for the vital "medicine."
Mr Duthie, a Taranaki chef, had Johnnie Walker whisky tube-fed directly into his body by doctors at Taranaki Base Hospital after a heavy vodka drinking session took a horrible turn.
In July this year Mr Duthie, a diabetic of 20 years, was admitted to the hospital's intensive care unit after he went blind while drinking at a 50th wedding anniversary party.
Mr Duthie supplied the Taranaki Daily News with his Taranaki District Health Board medical records outlining his unusual hospital treatment.
The notes say doctors suspected the 65-year-old was suffering from formaldehyde poisoning and they decided to start alcohol infusion into his stomach via a tube through his nose.