George Whitefield (16 December 1714 – 30 September 1770), was an Anglican itinerant Protestant minister who helped spread the Great Awakening in the Kingdom of Great Britain and, especially, in the British North American colonies. A leading evangelist and preacher of the era, he was one of the founders of Methodism in America. He as been attributed with the quote, " Why should the Devil have all the best tunes?" in The Monthly Review, or, Literary Journal, Vol. 49 (June 1773 - January 1774). wikipedia
I presume that he was referring to the jazz music that he will have heard as he travelled around America as opposed to the church music that would be normal to him, but, there is plenty in between and much found in pop and country music.
For example, Frankie Laine's "I Believe" "My Friend" and "Answer Me". Johnny Ray's "Walk and Talk with My Lord". All considered pop songs in the 50s. "pop" songs including great hits like, My Sweet Lord - George Harrison, U2 usually ends its concerts with the song "40", a song derived from Psalm 40. They finish a concert from their 2005 tour with two of their religious-themed songs, "Yahweh" and "40" , Leonard Cohen's "If It Be Your Will", Imagine – John Lennon, just a few that have hit, and often topped the "Hit Parade".
Maybe, just maybe, todays church should consider these songs, some of them may be ideal to add to the old church hymnary's that are in use today, again, just maybe a few new members would be added to the congregation.
I would offer this as a starter. http://youtu.be/cmZHdt9Wstc
The Shelter of Your Arms.
Now I lay me down to sleep
And if I sleep, perhaps I’ll dream.
If I dream, I’ll be with you,
In the shelter of your arms.
I pray that god will lengthen night,
And grant me time before the light.
For the light of day will take me
From the shelter of your arms.
And though I know it’s just a dream,
A dream that soon must end,
The arms I feel, I know are real,
And I’m happy, once again.
If I die, while I am asleep,
I pray my dreams he’ll let me keep,
And carry me through eternity
In the shelter of your arms.
And though I know it’s just a dream,
A dream that soon must end,
The arms I feel, I know are real
And I’m happy, once again.
And if I die while I am asleep,
I pray my dreams he’ll let me keep,
And carry me through eternity
In the shelter of your arms.
Words as sung by Willie Nelson.