Popular Posts

Friday, September 17, 2010

Fire, fire, in the house...

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND - JANUARY 18:  HRH Pri...Image by Getty Images via @daylife





Fire, fire in the house...



By Peter Petterson


First published at Qondio:











Fire, fire in the house...

Your topic has resucitated something long forgotten in the memory of yours truly.



It was 1969 and I had just come home from the local maternity hospital after visiting my wife and our brand new first child and daughter, who was later given the feminine version of my name - Peter.



Unfortunately there had been a rather long stop on the journey home celebrating that arrival at the local establishment around the corner. Getting home had not been a problem.



The problem was the forgotten steak cooking on the stove when I fell asleep...and then the rough shaking to wakefulness by a stranger who turned out to be a fire-fighter called to our flat when a neighbour returning home smelt the smoke from my burning steak, and rang 111, New Zealand's emergency call number.



My wife never learned about the incident until 20 years later. I had done a good job cleaning up signs of the steak fire from the walls; and a bit of painting covered up any other signs of the incident.


http://huttriver.blog.co.uk/








No comments: